Technology has managed to weave its way into every single aspect of our society. It has facilitated our social lives and helped launch our entrepreneurial dreams. By creating a website and expanding your reach, you can tap into the endless possibilities the internet has to offer.
Making Money Online
And by that, we mean money-making opportunities. Whether you’re an educator, writer, web designer or aspiring influencer, our guide on how to make money online will provide you with proven methods that have worked for millions of people.
How to Make Money Online: A List of Options
- Advertise on your website
- Design websites
- Create a blog
- Open an online store
- Start dropshipping
- Offer paid memberships
- Sell secondhand goods
- Sell photographs
- Offer print on demand
- Begin freelancing
- Write online reviews
- Publish an eBook
- Get into vlogging
- Create video tutorials
- Set up an online course
- Rent out your home
- Become an affiliate marketer
- Work as a translator
- Try content writing
- Become a brand ambassador
- Build an app
- Invest in stocks
- Do social media consulting
- Tutor online
- Become a life coach
1. Advertise on Your Website
Just by having a site of your own, you can start earning passive income. There are just a handful of steps you’ll need to take to build a website that makes money online. First, you’ll need to choose from one of many professionally designed website templates, select a domain name and get free website hosting. Then you can begin thinking about the different routes toward monetizing your website.
One proven method time and again is online advertising. You can use Google AdSense to place ads on your website. This option is relatively easy as Google matches ads to your site based on your content and visitors, plus it’s free. Google then pays you based on the number of views or clicks you get on the ads.
It’s a great way to generate passive income while you focus on creating content on your site. It’s a hands-off way to make money.
It requires low-level resources to get started once you have your website and Google Adsense connected.
You have limited control over the content and quality of the ads shown on your site. Yes, Google has policies in place to prevent inappropriate content being shown but you may not have full control over what is shown and how your site visitors will respond to it. Sometimes the content of ads or just having too many ads on your site can turn visitors off.
Predicting how much money you can make from ads on your site can be tricky as user numbers and clicks can fluctuate based on targeting. On top of this, Google takes a commission off everything you earn through them which can reduce your final revenue.
2. Design Websites
Whether it’s something you have experience in or you’re a natural at, designing websites can be an excellent source of income. In fact, web designers are always in demand as the industry exponentially grows. That said, you’ll need to make a name for yourself in order to stand out. Working with the right clients can help optimize your web design portfolio and highlight your talents.
So, you might be asking yourself, “How do I find my ideal customer?” Joining a distinguished online marketplace for website designers is the best possible way to start generating qualified leads. You’ll get a platform to help you showcase your work, set your price rate and get matched with potential clients who are looking to hire your services. You can also consider partnering with companies that grant you access to special web design tools. As a Wix Partner, you’ll get professional resources and be able to enlist the expert help of a company account manager dedicated to increasing your sales funnel conversion.
Designing websites, especially sites for large businesses can be very lucrative.
Freelance web designers tend to have a lot of flexibility in their working days and schedules.
- Navigating client expectations and communication can be tricky.
- Working as a freelance creative also involves a large amount of networking and drumming up business for yourself.
3. Create a Blog
The wonderful thing about blogging is that you can create content about absolutely anything as long as there are people interested in reading it. After some time, your free blog will attract website traffic and offer monetization opportunities. This is one of the reasons blogging is a great digital nomad job.
Once it starts to take off and grow an audience, that will be the perfect time to examine the many money-making opportunities available to successful bloggers. For instance, you can advertise within your blog using Google AdSense or offer paid subscriptions to die-hard fans for exclusive access to your content.
Whichever avenue you choose to take, always think about the preferences and interests of your readers. Check-in with them and see what they want by sending an email blast with a survey. Then, you’ll be able to pinpoint what strikes their fancy and how to monetize those ideas directly on your site.
A blog is a low startup venture, with the right blogging platform you can often start one for free.
It’s a great way to make money online for writers who want independence, flexibility and creativity in what they do.
Depending on your blogging niche, it can be a competitive way to make money as blogging has grown in popularity and scale. And as your blog grows revenue can fluctuate from month to month.
Blogging, while flexible, can be time-intensive. Content creation takes time. Blogging is also about more than being a great writer, you’ll also need to create a website, distribute your content and engage with your community of readers.
4. Open an Online Store
Internet shopping has become synonymous with convenience. As a result, people are purchasing more goods online than ever before. You can grab a slice of this profitable eCommerce pie by opening your own online store. Be sure to choose an eCommerce website builder that offers advanced business features, including secure payment and checkout, shipping and marketing tools, and store analytics to help you run your venture.
Launching an online store means that you’ll be starting a business of your own, so make sure you’re prepared. Primarily, you’ll need to test out all your business ideas before introducing them to the world. Do some market research and get feedback from friends and family. They’ll be able to give you valuable information that can be used to improve your product or service. Remember that as a business, you get closer to achieving success by selling something people actually want.
With an online store the entire world is your potential audience. You can market and sell to anyone, anywhere. You can also do this 24/7 as your online store never has to close. You can essentially generate sales while you’re asleep.
Starting an online store to make money generally has much lower overhead and startup costs than opening a brick-and-mortar store.
Depending on your product or service, the eCommerce space can be highly competitive with similar online stores targeting the same audience or market.
There are many things to think of when running an online store over any other types of website or business. Shipping and logistics are probably one of the main things to get right and one of the most challenging parts of running an online store especially if you plan to ship globally. You’ll also need to consider the security and reliability (hosting) of your online store to ensure your business continuity.
5. Start Dropshipping
Did you know that you can be an online seller without needing to stock up on products? Dropshipping lets you sell items using a third-party retailer that completely manages the order fulfillment process. All you have to do is find the right products for your business and connect with a supplier. This also means that you can begin a dropshipping business right away and start accepting customers as soon as you integrate your dropshipping products into your website.
Starting a dropshipping business to make money is a quick and effective way to generate revenue. It requires minimal overhead costs, and all you need is a good online store and a reliable dropshipping supplier.
You can test selling a wide variety of products without getting stuck with unsold inventory, so you can really take risks or test different product niches, and what sells best. At the same time, it’s easier to scale and grow a dropshipping venture because you’re not restricted by inventory storage space.
You may have to contend with low-profit margins, as dropshipping suppliers often charge more than a wholesaler for the same product.
As you never physically receive or handle the products you’re selling, you have to trust your suppliers’ quality guarantees. Sometimes there is a mismatch between what they deliver and your customers’ expectations and you’ll have to handle that.
With dropshipping, you’re completely dependent on the supplier, from the quality of the product to the shipping times and delivery methods – so if any of these don’t meet client expectations, you’ll have to handle them.
6. Offer Paid Memberships
The truth is that there are ways to make money online which can strengthen your website. Integrating a membership area into your site is one of them. The idea is that you offer paid membership to your site in exchange for access to exclusive perks.
Regardless of the various membership models out there, they all come together under a common goal to convert site visitors into paying customers. By adding a member’s area to your site, you can offer premium online services, in-depth guides, downloadable material and even create a VIP lounge using Wix Forum, where members may happily connect and start discussions around shared interests.
A paid membership area is a good way to create recurring revenue on a monthly or annual basis. This can be perceived as more reliable revenue than one-time sales.
Offering exclusive content to paid members can generate a buzz around your website or content, which can in turn prompt more people to pay for membership access. It’s also a great way to build a community around your brand that invests in your paid services and encourages others to do so as well.
A paid membership area requires a reasonable amount of investment and support to maintain interesting, exclusive content that is worth members paying for. Maintaining this can be both time and resource-heavy.
7. Sell Secondhand Goods
We all have that bag under the bed. It might be full of clothes you don’t wear anymore, your Lego collection or your original kicks. While you may have outgrown them, many of these saved items are still too precious to toss out onto the street. Rather, you can free up some space and make some decent money by selling these items secondhand. Get on Ebay or Amazon, determine the asking price for your stuff and sit back, relax and watch the offers come rolling in.
Selling secondhand clothes or goods online is a low startup cost venture that allows for flexibility in how and where you work. With the right niche or products, it can also be a high-profit way to make money.
Selling secondhand goods is also a great way to promote a more sustainable lifestyle and contributes to efforts to avoid overconsumption and reusing goods.
While selling secondhand goods can help generate a good income, depending on your access to inventory and how long it takes to source secondhand items to sell, this may not always be a consistent one.
Selling secondhand goods can also be a time-consuming venture. The goods need to be sourced, collected and also potentially repaired or restored to make them sellable.
You’ll have to watch out for fraud, both in terms of paying too much for secondhand goods that may not be what they’re advertised and sold as, to making sure you collect payments from your consumers for what they receive. Make sure to use a secure payment process.
8. Sell Photographs
If you’re a photographer, why not capitalize on your skills by creating a photography website to sell your photos online? It may take some promotion and a little bit of patience, but if you already have a large photo collection, you can focus most of your efforts on branding and marketing. In addition, companies like Shutterstock, iStockPhoto and Shutterfly are willing to make use of your creative snaps. You can become a paid contributor to any of these stock photo platforms by submitting your best content via their site.
Selling photographs is a creative and flexible way to make money, especially if you already have a lot of work to sell.
It’s also a venture that can be started and managed from anywhere in the world.
Market saturation and high competition is one factor to be aware of when selling your photographs.
Make sure also to protect your work and your rights to it by taking intellectual property precautions such as watermarking your images.
9. Offer Print on Demand
As a designer looking for ways to make money online, you’ve probably considered the idea of selling your own merchandise. This lets you hit two birds with one stone, as you’ll be gaining exposure while also generating a steady flow of revenue. But how would you go about it?
Print on demand is a low-risk method of selling your designs on custom t-shirts, posters, books and more. It eliminates the hassle of buying and managing inventory. All you have to do is connect your online store with a print on demand service and choose the types of products you want to sell – whether that’s clothing, homeware, prints or accessories.
Then generate mockups of your unique design on the merchandise and post an image of the product on your site for customers to view. Be sure to consider the following factors when pricing your product: product cost, profit margin and designing and shipping costs.
Print on demand can be a low-risk business model with minimal startup costs. It doesn’t require investing in or storing inventory and manufacturing equipment. You just need to make sure you work with a reputable print on demand platform or integrate one within your website.
It can be a creative business and way to make money if you work with your own designs which for some freelancers is a big plus.
Much like with dropshipping when running a print on demand business to make money you’re dependent on a third-party platform for product creation and shipping. This means you don’t have full control over quality and the level of service so it’s important to choose this platform wisely. If your supplier runs low on specific inventory for example you’ll have to explain it to your consumers and potentially miss out on sales and repeat business.
10. Begin Freelancing
Successful freelancers know how to earn money online, cultivating a new standard of business in which efficiency and flexibility go hand in hand. Whether you’re a freelance writer, artist, educator or Wix website designer, you’ll find a marketplace that’s diverse and flourishing.
If you’re considering becoming a freelancer, you’ll need two things to get started: a well-defined area of expertise and connections to potential clients. Once you decide on what services to offer, you can create a freelance website, choose a pricing strategy and begin taking on job opportunities.
Perhaps the biggest benefit of being a freelancer is being able to turn something you love into a way to make money. That combined with the flexibility and often the ability to work from anywhere including from home makes it a popular choice for many people.
Depending on your specific freelancing industry, you may find it to be a very competitive way to make money.
Freelance incomes can fluctuate depending on demand and your ability to market yourself to a large audience.
Succeeding as a freelancer is about more than being just a great writer, photographer or creative. You’ll also need to put your business acumen to work in order to source work for yourself.
11. Write Online Reviews
It may seem far out but there are some companies that will pay you just for trying out a product or reviewing goods or services. It can also be very profitable for you. Check out companies like User Testing as an example. Credibility goes a long way in the online world which means brands are willing to pay a lot of money for your honest opinion.
Writing online reviews to make money is considered a low barrier entry to working from home or remotely. You need nothing more than an internet connection and computer to get started.
Generally, in order to make a lot of money from writing online reviews, you’ll need to write a lot of reviews fairly fast. This may not be sustainable long term.
12. Publish an eBook
If blogging has piqued your passion for creative writing consider writing and selling an eBook. Whatever your choice of topic may be use your eBook as a tool to tell your story share your tips or words of wisdom. You could also repurpose your blog content in the form of an eBook which is guaranteed to excite your existing fans.
Thanks to technological advancements you can self-publish online allowing you to skip those nerve-wracking pitch meetings with intimidating publishing houses. Get started by checking out these professional writing templates.
Publishing a successful eBook can help you make money for many years.
Creating an eBook is a creative and often low-cost way to generate longer-term revenue or passive income from one-time effort.
While writing an eBook may come easily to a great writer marketing and selling that same book may be more of a challenge especially if it’s your first book and you have no experience marketing one.
13. Get into Vlogging
Vlogging is a popular trend on social media and the internet. A vlog is a video blog post that documents the vlogger’s daily life or any relevant event they want to share. Vlogs usually last for about 5 minutes, which is enough time for viewers to connect with the creator and keep coming back for more.
How to Make Money with Vlogging
Producing a short video clip takes time and effort, but it can be a profitable way to make money online. YouTube is the most common platform for uploading videos, but you shouldn’t limit your vlog to just one site. To increase your reach, create a strong online presence by posting videos on your own website. You can then turn vlogging into a career by selling ad space within your videos or creating sponsored content.
Pros of Vlogging
- With vlogging, you can build a large community or audience who identify with your brand. This allows you to diversify your income from vlogging to selling merchandise or other products.
- With a large audience, many followers, and the right brand sponsorships, vlogging can be very lucrative.
Cons of Vlogging
- Vlogging can be time-consuming. It requires consistent video creation to build and maintain a following.
- You are at the mercy of social media algorithms to distribute your content. One change can drastically reduce your reach and potential to make money.
- Vlogging involves sharing private information about your life online, which comes with its own risks.
14. Create Video Tutorials
Another form of video content is creating video tutorials. Starting a YouTube channel where you review products or offer tutorials is a great way to make money online. It may require some editing skills (and good lighting), but once you have a decent following, you’ll start to see the money.
How to Make Money with Video Tutorials
The more subscribers you have, the more likely companies will send you products to review or pay you for product placement. You can also showcase your videos on your website using Wix Video.
Pros of Video Tutorials
- Video tutorials allow you to turn your expertise into content that can be shared with a large audience and create passive income.
- The more authority you establish as an expert in your field through your video tutorials, the easier it is to monetize your content.
Cons of Video Tutorials
- Creating video tutorials can be time-consuming. You’ll need to plan out your tutorial, including its length and script. Your video will then need to be edited and promoted. This can take considerable time and resources.
15. Set up an Online Course
If you’re someone who has all the answers and even earned the nickname “Professor” from your friends, you have a great opportunity to earn money online by sharing your knowledge.
How to Make Money with Online Courses
Set up an online course on your website where you can host and stream your classes. Alternatively, sell your course on Udemy or another e-learning platform. Choose an in-demand topic that people will sign up for. Take time to research and plan your course and edit your filmed content so it looks professional.
15. Set up an Online Course
If you’re someone who has all the answers and even earned the nickname “Professor” from your friends, you have a great opportunity to earn money online by sharing your knowledge.
Pros of Online Courses
- Creating an online course has some benefits over a traditional in-person format. You can reach a larger audience, essentially anyone with internet and a computer.
- You have more flexibility in where and how you run your courses online since you’re not tied to one venue or location.
Cons of Online Courses
- There may be technical complications when creating online courses. You’ll need to make sure your website’s hosting is reliable to avoid disruptions in the middle of your courses.
- Protect your courses and their content from intellectual property theft and unauthorized reuse.
- Some courses may require in-person interaction to be truly successful. For example, courses for children online can be tricky.
16. Rent out Your Home
You can learn from Airbnb and make money online through short-term rentals. Be it an apartment, a guest room, or even just a pull-out couch, you can turn these spaces into money-making assets. Find the right platform, such as Wix Hotels, to create a listing, manage bookings, accept payments, and allow guests to book in their own language.
Pros of Renting out Your Home
- Renting out your home allows you to make money when you’re not using it or even while you are. It’s a low-resource way to generate income from capital you already have.
Cons of Renting out Your Home
- Renting out your home comes with risks. Not all renters may respect your home and its furnishings. You need to trust whoever you let rent it.
17. Become an Affiliate Marketer
Affiliate marketing involves promoting a company by adding a link to their products on your website or social media pages. When someone clicks that link and makes a purchase, you get a cut of the sale. To find affiliate options, look at online affiliate programs such as Amazon Associates and the Wix Affiliate Program.
Pros of Affiliate Marketing
- Becoming an affiliate marketer is a quick and easy way to make money from home or anywhere in the world. With the wide range of affiliate programs available, you can find something that fits your interests or expertise.
Cons of Affiliate Marketing
- Most affiliate marketing programs work on a commission basis, so income can be unpredictable over the short term. A merchant’s decision to change or discontinue their service or product could leave you without an income.
18. Work as a Translator
If you are fluent in at least two languages, you can work as a translator and help clients around the world. Connect with potential clients on internet job boards or advertise your service on your own website and social media pages. Show samples of your work and include testimonials from past clients to establish credibility.
Pros of Working as a Translator
- In today’s globalized world, the demand for translation services can be high.
- Translation projects can be very diverse, ranging from personal to business.
Cons of Working as a Translator
- Working as a translator requires highly proficient language skills in several languages.
- Translators often specialize in one type of translation (e.g., medical translations), which can become monotonous over time.
19. Try Content Writing
Many companies are looking to hire writers to create content for their brand, and many of these jobs can be done remotely. Consider trying content writing as a way to make money online. To begin, have some writing experience and find a niche to focus on.
How to Make Money with Content Writing
Focusing on a specific topic, like food, business, or health, will help you become an authority in that field. Your work will become more valuable to your clients, who won’t want to part without your expertise and help you earn more income as a result.
Pros of Content Writing
- Content writing is in high demand from businesses and marketers, so it can be a great way to make money. Technical writers are always in high demand and can demand high payment rates.
Cons of Content Writing
- Competition can be fierce for writing contracts. As a writer, you need to understand how to market yourself and find content writing opportunities.
- Many clients demand high-quality content and may request you redo drafts or content to meet their standards. This can be time-consuming.
20. Become a Brand Ambassador
You don’t need to be a Hollywood celebrity to get hired as a brand ambassador, but you do need a decent following on social media. Look for companies that closely match your values or interests to represent and engage with the target market. Visit a company’s website and search for a brand ambassador opening on its career page or check out different influencer marketplaces.
Pros of Being a Brand Ambassador
- Being a brand ambassador is usually flexible and can be managed around other jobs or money-making ventures.
- Often being a brand ambassador involves making money and access to free products and services.
- Being a brand ambassador is a great networking opportunity and can lead to more lucrative or rewarding opportunities.
Cons of Being a Brand Ambassador
- As a brand ambassador, what you say and do will likely be subject to a contract. If the brand you represent receives negative backlash, you may also get caught in the crosshairs.
- Work as a brand ambassador can be inconsistent and short-term. Maintaining a positive relationship for the brand you work for can also be a job in itself.
21. Build an App
If you have a great app concept and some programming skills, then you’re one step ahead of the pack. If you’re not tech-savvy but have creative ideas, look for a freelance developer to help you build your app.
Pros of Building an App
- One of the biggest pros of building an app is the potential to turn it into an entrepreneurial venture. A successful app can morph into its own company.
- If you build a popular app, you’ve already developed the strong brand identity and trust needed to launch a successful business.
Cons of Building an App
- App development can be expensive, especially if you outsource most of the technical work.
- Once an app is developed, it needs to be promoted and sold. It also needs to be managed and updated to improve the user experience and ensure it functions properly.
22. Invest in Stocks
Investing is known to be risky, but for those with experience in picking stocks or looking to break into the scene, options for entry-level investors have never looked more attractive. There are commission-free investment apps that make it easy to build up your stock portfolio. If you’re an employee of a company, you might have the option to invest in company stock. When investing in stocks, have goals in mind beforehand and guide your decisions based on reason over emotion. Stay informed and keep track of your performance.
Pros of Investing in Stocks
- Investment in high-potential stocks can enable you to make a lot of money over the long term.
- Stocks generally have a lot of liquidity, meaning they can be sold and bought easily, allowing you to respond to market fluctuations and maximize your profit potential.
Cons of Investing in Stocks
- Investing in stocks comes with risk. Consult with a financial advisor or professional before investing money. You can’t control the performance of stocks and external factors can have a huge impact on how much money you make.
23. Do Social Media Consulting
Work as a freelancer or build your own social media consulting firm. As a social media specialist, your services are sought after by brands of all shapes and sizes. Typical duties include social media advertising strategies, driving user engagement, increasing web traffic, creating effective content, and developing brand awareness. To start, find local small businesses in your area and book them as your first clients. Once you hit success, reach out to bigger fish with your record.
Pros of Social Media Consulting
- As more businesses understand the impact of social media marketing on their business, social media consulting is in high demand.
- Social media consulting is a rapidly growing niche with huge potential for professional growth and development.
Cons of Social Media Consulting
- The social media climate and field are constantly changing. Staying on top of these changes can be challenging for a social media consultant.
24. Tutor Online
Helping others excel in learning is rewarding and a great way to make money online. Before taking on clients, think about what type of tutoring you want to offer. Ask yourself what your areas of expertise are and who your target market is (e.g., kids, high-schoolers, college students or special needs students). Decide how you’ll provide your services online. For instance, create a website where you’ll conduct your tutoring sessions. Use online tools such as virtual whiteboards and software to create interactive quizzes, share assignments and track progress.
Pros of Online Tutoring
- Online tutoring is easy to set up and can be done from anywhere. It can also be easily scheduled around existing job or family commitments.
Cons of Online Tutoring
- Online tutoring can be hindered by technical difficulties such as poor internet connections or issues with video streaming and sound quality.
- Some tutors miss the personal interactions that come with teaching in-person and online tutoring can be difficult to adjust to.
25. Become a Life Coach
Life coaching is a powerful career that can be done online. Celebrities and regular folks alike hire life coaches to help them navigate various challenges in their lives, whether to lose weight, change jobs or build meaningful relationships. If you love seeing people thrive and succeed, consider becoming a life coach.
How to Become a Life Coach
The difference between a professional life coach and someone who simply gives advice is training and certification. Look for accredited programs that offer life coach training and certification.