In a shocking incident, sixty-three students from Zingcuka Primary School in Keiskammahoek, Eastern Cape, were rushed to the SS Gida Hospital after they fell ill. The students, aged between six and thirteen, had consumed snacks and drinks allegedly purchased from vendors and spaza shops located near their school. Shortly after consuming these items, the students began to complain of stomach cramps and started vomiting. 63 Eastern Cape pupils in hospital.

Also read: Just In: ‘DiepCity’ star Lebohang Mpyana has died

According to police spokesperson Col Priscilla Naidu, it is alleged that the children had consumed chips, biscuits, and juice from a local shop in Upper Zingcuka. The severity of the situation led to immediate medical attention being sought for the affected students.

63 Eastern Cape pupils in hospital after

This incident is not an isolated one. Col Naidu mentioned a similar occurrence that took place on Monday when two children from Scenery Park in East London also complained of stomach cramps after buying biscuits from a local spaza shop. They too were taken to the hospital for treatment.

Furthermore, on October 26, about 119 schoolchildren from Edlelweni Primary School in Queenstown fell ill under similar circumstances. The children had eaten chips and biscuits allegedly bought from vendors outside the school gates during their break time. They were taken to the nearest clinic after they started feeling unwell.

A Word of Caution

In light of these incidents, Eastern Cape police commissioner Lt Gen Nomthetheleli Mene has advised parents to prevent their children from buying food from vendors or spaza shops. She emphasized the importance of providing homemade lunches as it allows parents to have control over the quality and safety of the food their children consume. She warned about the significant health risk associated with consuming food from unregulated vendors or shops.

In conclusion, these incidents highlight the importance of food safety and the potential health risks associated with consuming food from unregulated sources. It’s a reminder for schools and parents alike to ensure the safety and well-being of students.

By Shamiso Miracle

Shamiso Miracle completed her degree in journalism and media studies at the University of Zimbabwe before honing her skills at Savanna News. She then went on to work at iHarare News, becoming a voice for everyday SA citizens who wanted to share their stories. When she's not writing news that entertains and inspires ,Shamiso is an avid reader and a wellness bunny.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *