Young South Africans are scrambling to find driving job opportunities, and a learner’s licence is the first essential step.

ALSO READ: Good news on car licence disc service

ALSO READ: ‘I had white and Chinese women’ – ex-Sundowns star


A driver’s licence is often the great escape out of poverty in this country. As millions of young South Africans dream of taxi driving and goods/service delivery careers every day, the dream is empty without obtaining a learner’s licence first.

ALSO READ: Springboks vs. France: The numbers don’t lie

For clarity, a learner’s licence permits you to drive only when you are supervised by a licensed driver. If the category of vehicle you are driving requires a professional driving permit, the licensed driver must also hold a professional driving permit.

The difference between a driver’s and a learner’s licence: The learner’s permit proves that you have basic knowledge of a motor vehicle and the rules of the road, and the certificate is valid for 24 months and cannot be extended.

Additionally, different learner’s licences are given for the various categories of motor vehicle:

Code 1: This is for a motorcycle with or without a sidecar, motor tricycle or quadricycle. You must be 16 years or older on the date of the test in order to apply if the motorcycle’s engine does not exceed 125 cc and 18 years or older if it exceeds 125 cc.

Code 2: This is for a motor vehicle, including a minibus, bus or goods vehicle, with a gross vehicle mass not exceeding 3 500kg. You must be 17 years or older on the date of the test in order to apply.

Code 3: This is for a motor vehicle with a gross vehicle mass exceeding 3 500kg. You must be 18 years or older on the date of the test in order to apply.



  1. An identity document (ID)
  2. Two identical black-and-white ID photographs (before you have photographs taken, you should confirm with the DLTC how many photos they require)
  3. A booking fee (varies from R95 to R162 by province)
  4. Proof of postal and residential address e.g. utility account. If the utility bill is not in your name, the of owner of the bill must make an affidavit declaring that you live at the address, and the utility bill must be attached to the affidavit.
  5. If you stay at an informal settlement, you must bring a letter with an official date stamp from the ward councillor confirming your postal and residential address.

By Shamiso Miracle

Shamiso Miracle completed her degree in journalism and media studies at the University of Zimbabwe before honing her skills at Savanna News. She then went on to work at iHarare News, becoming a voice for everyday SA citizens who wanted to share their stories. When she's not writing news that entertains and inspires ,Shamiso is an avid reader and a wellness bunny.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *