Sithembile Xola Pearl Thusi is a South African actress, model, and presenter who has made a name for herself in the international entertainment industry. She has starred in various TV shows and films, such as The No. 1 Ladies’ Detective Agency, Quantico, Catching Feelings, and Queen Sono. She is also a host of popular shows such as Lip Sync Battle Africa and Behind the Story. She is widely regarded as one of the most influential and successful celebrities in South Africa.
Early Life and Education
Thusi was born on 13 May 1988 in the townships of KwaNdengezi and Hammarsdale just outside Durban. She has two sisters. She attended Pinetown Girls’ High School, where she developed a passion for acting and modeling. She later enrolled at the University of the Witwatersrand to pursue a bachelor’s degree in marketing, but dropped out to focus on her career. In 2020, she resumed her studies at the University of South Africa.
Thusi began her career as a model, participating in various beauty pageants and fashion shows. She also appeared in several commercials and magazines. She then ventured into television, landing her first role as Palesa Motaung on the SABC 3 soap opera Isidingo in 2006.
She then hosted several shows on different channels, such as Live Amp, Real Goboza, Lip Sync Battle Africa, Moments, and Behind the Story. She also acted in various TV shows and films, both locally and internationally.
Some of her notable roles include:
- Patricia Kopong on the BBC/HBO comedy-drama The No. 1 Ladies’ Detective Agency in 2009.
- Dr. Nandi Montabu in the action film Tremors 5: Bloodlines in 2015.
- Dayana Mampasi on the ABC thriller series Quantico in 2016.
- Samkelo in the romantic comedy film Catching Feelings in 2017.
- Brenda Riviera in the biographical film Kalushi in 2017.
- Queen Sono on the Netflix crime drama series Queen Sono in 2020.
She also featured in a music video by rapper Emtee titled “Pearl Thusi” in 2015.
Awards and Achievements
Thusi has received numerous accolades for her work in media and entertainment. Some of the awards she has won or been nominated for include:
- Best Actress at the Africa Movie Academy Awards in 2016 for her role in Kalushi.
- Best Actress at the RapidLion International Film Festival in 2018 for her role in Catching Feelings.
- Best Actress at the South African Film and Television Awards (SAFTAs) in 2020 for her role in Queen Sono.
- Most Stylish Performing Artist at the SA Style Awards in 2016.
- Coolest Local Female Celebrity at the Sunday Times Generation Next Awards in 2017 and 2018.
- African Influencer of the Year at the E! People’s Choice Awards in 2019.
Thusi is currently single and lives in Johannesburg with her two daughters, Thando and Okuhle. Thando is her biological daughter from a previous relationship with sports presenter Walter Mokoena. Okuhle is her adopted daughter whom she welcomed into her family in 2019.
Pearl Thusi is a famous South African actress, model, and presenter who has been in the spotlight for many years. During this time, she has had several romantic relationships with other well-known celebrities in South Africa. Here is a brief overview of her love life:
- Walter Mokoena: He is a sports news anchor and talk show host who was Pearl’s first notable boyfriend. They started dating in the early 2000s and had a daughter together in 2007. However, they broke up shortly after and decided to co-parent their child.
- Da Les: He is a rapper and hip hop artist who was rumored to be dating Pearl in 2014. They were spotted together at various events and parties, but they never confirmed their relationship publicly.
- Quinton Jones: He is a former American football player and the husband of media personality Minnie Dlamini. He and Pearl were allegedly involved in 2015, but they kept their affair secret. It was reported that Minnie found out about their relationship and confronted Pearl, leading to a feud between them.
- Robert Marawa: He is a sports journalist and radio host who had a long-term relationship with Pearl from 2016 to 2019. They were engaged at one point, but they called it off due to personal issues. They had a bitter split and exchanged accusations on social media.
- Serge Ibaka: He is a Congolese-Spanish professional basketball player who plays for the Los Angeles Clippers in the NBA. He and Pearl met in 2019 when she was filming in the US and started dating. They have kept their relationship low-key and have not shared much about it.
Pearl Thusi’s children
Pearl Thusi is a proud mother of two beautiful daughters. The first one is Thandolwethu Mokoena, who is her only biological child. She was born in 2007 and is the daughter of Walter Mokoena. The second one is Okuhle Thusi, who is her adopted child. She joined Pearl’s family in 2019 and is from an orphanage in East Africa.
Who is Pearl Thusi’s baby daddy?
Pearl Thusi’s baby daddy is Walter Mokoena, the father of her first daughter Thandolwethu. Walter Mokoena is a popular sports news anchor and talk show host who works for SABC Sport. He and Pearl dated in the early 2000s when she was starting her career as a model. They welcomed their daughter in 2007, but they did not stay together as a couple. They have remained on good terms and have shared the custody of their daughter.
Pearl Thusi and DJ Zinhle
Pearl Thusi and DJ Zinhle are two of the most successful and influential women in the South African entertainment industry. They are also best friends who have supported each other through thick and thin. They have collaborated on various projects, such as hosting the reality show Behind The Story on BET Africa and launching their own haircare line Black Pearl by DJ Zinhle.
However, in 2022, there were rumors that their friendship was on the rocks after a video clip surfaced online showing DJ Zinhle snubbing Pearl at an event. The clip went viral and sparked speculation that they had a fallout over something. Some fans suggested that it had something to do with DJ Zinhle’s boyfriend Murdah Bongz, who was allegedly cheating on her with another woman.
Both Pearl and DJ Zinhle denied that there was any bad blood between them and insisted that they were still friends. They said that the clip was taken out of context and that they had no issues with each other.
How much is Pearl Thusi worth?
Pearl Thusi has amassed a fortune from her diverse career in film, modeling, and presenting. She has starred in several local and international movies and TV shows, such as Quantico, Queen Sono, Catching Feelings, Kalushi, The Scorpion King: Book of Souls, and more. She has also modeled for various brands and magazines, such as Marie Claire, Cosmopolitan, True Love, Elle, GQ, etc. She has also hosted several shows and events, such as Lip Sync Battle Africa, MTV Africa Music Awards, Miss South Africa Pageant, etc.
According to Celebrity Net Worth, Pearl Thusi’s net worth as of 2023 is $1.8 million.